Annie Tayyab skillfully navigates a wide range of commercial matters. Her experience includes multi-jurisdictional class actions, complex contractual disputes, competition law, shareholder disputes, regulatory proceedings, consumer protection, commercial leasing, condominium legislation, and professional negligence, including errors and omissions by brokers/dealers and lawyers.
- Appeared in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Small Claims Court, Construction Lien Court, and attended the Ontario Court of Appeal.
- Independently managed disputes of varying degrees of complexity.
- Negotiated several beneficial out-of-court settlements.
- Articled at an international, full-service law firm, which included a secondment to the Royal Bank of Canada.
- Recipient of the Best Respondent’s Factum award for the Frank M. Callaghan Memorial Moot at the University of Toronto Faculty of Law.
- Finalist in The Geneva Challenge 2014: Empowering Women for Development, hosted by the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Fluent in English and Urdu, and intermediate fluency in French.
- Commercial litigation
- Competition law
- Class action defence
- Contract disputes
- Civil fraud cases
- Securities litigation
Education and Experience
- Juris Doctor/Masters of Global Affairs, University of Toronto, 2014
- Certificate in European and International Business Law, Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3, 2013
- Bachelor of Arts and Science, Joint Honours in Political Science and Psychology, McGill University, 2010
- Associate, Affleck Greene McMurtry LLP, 2015-Present
- Called to the Bar, Ontario, 2015
- Student-at-Law, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP, 2013-2015
- Market Analyst, Advanced Energy Centre, MaRS Discovery District, 2014
- Intern, Agriculture Credit and Microfinance Department, State Bank of Pakistan, 2012
- Criminal Division Volunteer, Downtown Legal Services, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto, 2011-2012
Professional Activities And Associations
- The Advocates’ Society
- Ontario Bar Association
- Young Women in Law
- Toronto Lawyers’ Association
- South Asian Bar Association
Affleck Greene McMurtry LLP
365 Bay Street, Suite 200 · Toronto, Canada
416 360 2800 ·