Kenneth Dekker, a partner of the firm, is a successful trial and appellate lawyer who is valued by his clients as a resourceful and practical litigation counsel.
With more than 18 years of experience, Ken has litigated noteworthy cases in a range of fields that include class action defence, securities and broker-dealer litigation and regulatory proceedings, corporate and shareholder disputes (including oppression and winding up cases), defamation, civil fraud litigation, disputes over contracts, injunctions, professional liability litigation, employment litigation and cross-border litigation issues.
Ken has appeared before all levels of courts in Ontario, including the Superior Court of Justice, the Divisional Court and the Court of Appeal for Ontario, as well as before the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Representing an auditor named as a defendant in a large securities class action - both in the class action court and in insolvency proceedings brought by the principal class action defendant.
- Litigating numerous proceedings involving allegations of negligence and/or misconduct against investment advisors and other financial services professionals.
- Representing investment industry participants in matters before the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC), the Investment Industry Regulatory Association of Canada (IIROC) and the Mutual Fund Dealers Association (MFDA).
- Assisting financial services firms in responding to fraud and misappropriation allegations involving their agents or employees - including the identification and resolution of civil liability, regulatory, and/or insurance coverage issues that arise from such allegations.
- Litigating disputes among owners of closely held corporations and members of joint ventures.
- Litigating shareholder claims arising from corporate misrepresentations and/or oppressive conduct.
- Helping a food processor obtain a judgment requiring its insurer to cover losses suffered during the August 2003 blackout that affected much of Eastern North America.
- Prosecuting and defending numerous defamation actions.
- Bringing and responding to proceedings for extraordinary remedies such as injunctions against former employees to prevent unfair competition or the improper use or disclosure of confidential or sensitive information.
- Author of numerous papers.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate & Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Litigation
- Employment Law
- Employment Litigation
- Enforcement of Foreign Judgments
- Foreign Law
- Insurance Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Partnership Litigation
- Professional Malpractice Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- Shareholder Disputes
Education and Experience
- LL.B., Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia (1996)
- B.A., Honours in History; University of King's College, Halifax, Nova Scotia (1992)
- Partner, Affleck Greene McMurtry LLP, 2006-Present
- Associate, Affleck Greene McMurtry LLP, 2003-2006
- Associate, Kelly Affleck Greene, 1998-2003
- Called to the Bar, Ontario, 1998
Professional Activities And Associations
- Member of The Advocates' Society
- Associate Member of The American Bar Association
- Member of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association – Compliance and Legal Division (SIFMA-CL)
Affleck Greene McMurtry LLP
365 Bay Street, Suite 200 · Toronto, Canada
416 360 2800 ·