Kyle's commercial litigation and advocacy practice offers particular expertise in securities, insurance, construction and employment disputes. A fierce advocate for clients, Kyle has a proven ability to approach client issues in a strategic manner, always balancing their business and commercial interests with their legal rights. Kyle's clients benefit from his experience in business and politics, and appreciate his common sense and results-driven style.
- Appears before all levels of Court and Administrative Tribunals.
- Acts for all market participants interacting with the OSC, IIROC and the MFDA, including Exempt Market and Private Capital Dealers.
- Acts for both insured and insurers in insurance coverage disputes, including Financial Institution Bonds and Professional Liability policies.
- Acts for both plaintiffs and defendants in professional negligence/misconduct claims.
- Acts for financial services professionals and their firms in matters involving negligence and/or misconduct.
- Acts for Administrative Services Providers, employers and long-term disability insurers in denial of benefits claims.
- Acts for contractors and construction companies in construction disputes.
- Acts for shareholders in corporate disputes.
- Acts for landowners in property disputes.
- Acts for both employers and employees in employment law disputes.
- Acts for lenders and other parties in insolvency and restructuring matters
- Served as Director of Corporate Projects at Magna International Inc., where he advised on a broad range of both business and legal matters.
- Active politically for two decades, he has advised clients on their ongoing relationship with all levels of government, and further advises clients on compliance of their government relations activities.
- Administrative Law
- Corporate & Commercial Law
- Corporate Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Employment Law
- Enforcement of Foreign Judgments
- Franchise Litigation
- Fraud, Misrepresentations, Deceit
- Insolvency Law
- Insurance Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Libel & Slander Litigation
- Mass Torts
- Partnership Litigation
- Professional Discipline Law
- Professional Malpractice Litigation
- Professional Regulation
- Securities Litigation
- Shareholder Disputes
- Tribunal Hearings
- Wrongful Dismissal
Education and Experience
- M.B.A., Rotman School of Management – University of Toronto, 2014
- J.D., Dalhousie University, 2004
- M.A., University of Toronto, 1999
- B.A., The University of Western Ontario, 1994
- Partner, Affleck Greene McMurtry LLP, 2013 - present
- Associate, Affleck Greene McMurtry LLP, 2011-2012
- Associate, Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP, 2009-2011
- Director - Corporate Projects, Magna International Inc., 2007-2009
- Associate, Affleck Greene Orr LLP, 2005-2007
- Called to the Bar, Ontario, 2005
- Articles, McCarthy Tétrault LLP, 2004-2005
Professional Activities And Associations
- Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member of the Canadian and Ontario Bar Associations
- Member of the Advocates’ Society
- Director, United Way of York Region
- Director, Aurora-Newmarket Family Health Team
* Presently on leave of absence from the Firm.
Kyle Peterson was elected as a Member of the House of Commons of the Canadian Parliament in the 2015 Canadian Federal Election.
Affleck Greene McMurtry LLP
365 Bay Street, Suite 200 · Toronto, Canada
416 360 2800 ·