Masiel Matus consistently demonstrates strong knowledge and ability in the areas of commercial litigation, class action defence, employment and competition law. Masiel has provided diligent case management and litigation support in several complex litigation trials, making her a trusted and valued member of the AGM team.
- Providing key litigation support in trials and Small Claims Court proceedings.
- Frequent contributing author to thelitigator.ca, Affleck Greene McMurtry's blog offering compelling commentary on law affecting business.
- While attending law school, Masiel participated in various advocacy and dispute resolution competitions and was a semi-finalist in the Canadian Client Consultation Competition.
- Masiel was a civil division leader and a caseworker for the University of Ottawa Community Legal Clinic. Masiel was also co-president of the Criminal Law Students Association.
- Earned a range of awards and scholarships for academic achievement.
- Fluent in Spanish.
- Civil Litigation
- Class Action Defence
- Commercial Litigation
- Civil Fraud Cases
- Contract Disputes
- Employment Law Disputes
- Shareholder and Partnership Disputes
- Securities Litigation
- Competition Law
Education and Experience
- Juris Doctor, University of Ottawa Faculty of Law, 2012
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Criminology, graduated Cum Laude, member of the Dean's Honour Role, York University, 2009
- Associate, Affleck Greene McMurtry LLP, 2013-Present
- Called to the Bar, Ontario, 2013
- Student-at-Law, Affleck Greene McMurtry LLP, 2012-2013
- Civil division leader and caseworker, University of Ottawa, Community Legal Clinic, 2011-2012
- Teaching Assistant, Intensive Alternative Dispute Resolution Program, University of Ottawa, 2010-2011
- Courtroom Clerk/Registrar, Ontario Court of Justice, 2008-2010
- Client Services Representative, Ontario Court of Justice, 2007
Professional Activities And Associations
- Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member of the Advocates' Society
Affleck Greene McMurtry LLP
365 Bay Street, Suite 200 · Toronto, Canada
416 360 2800 ·